This course is designed to provide an overview of the role, duties, and responsibilities of the supervisor who oversees the work of line staff. Issues such as training, monitoring, performance appraisal, and discipline will be discussed. The techniques for establishing a work climate that supports employee productivity and growth will be reviewed, along with personal and individual values and beliefs that affect worker performance. Problems associated with being a newly appointed supervisor will be addressed. A list of critical competencies of a supervisor will be presented.
- Define “supervisor.”
- Identify the role of a supervisor as a trainer.
- List at least 3 factors that contribute to a productive work climate.
- Identify at least 3 activities of a supervisor that enhance staff performance.
- Define 5 supervisory styles of behavior.
- List 3 critical functions of supervision.
- Identify at least 3 problems confronting a newly appointed supervisor.
- List at least 5 critical competencies of an effective supervisor.
- Teacher: Alvin Cohn, D.Crim