This course is designed to provide the student with a basic understanding of the role and function of probation services in the United States. The history of probation will be reviewed. Probation will be described as both a sentence and a process, which means that issues concerning organizational structure, services, statutory authority, and probation officer activities will be discussed and reviewed. Trends in probation; the significance of evidenced-based programming; issues concerning the intake and diversions processes; and the significance of program design and evaluation will be discussed and reviewed.
- Define probation.
- List at least three (3) precursor events that led to probation in the United States.
- Describe probation structures as explained in the “lecture.”
- Describe three (3) variables that remain constant concerning structure and services of probation.
- List at least three (3) factors that influence judicial sentencing.
- Define the role and structure of Presentence Investigation (Social History) Reports.
- Define what is meant by probation “terms and conditions.”
- Teacher: Alvin Cohn, D.Crim